“Disrupted planning and building processes are an enormous disturbance/burden for companies and employees, towns and local authorities as well as residents and tax payers. Therefore, the sector itself recognises the urgent need for action that can foster joint solutions.” (Rainer Maria Schäfer, STRABAG Real Estate)
Planning and building process communication
It is important that those wishing to start
a building project understand beforehand that this
is an extremely complex matter, both in the construction
process, as well as in the planning and
building communication process!
Complicated from a business management perspective – because it always involves a lot of money.
Complicated technically – because it involves a range of specialists who need to bring their skills to play in a team task, so that the building project does not collapse.
Complicated legally – because numerous laws and local bylaws have to be adhered to. This is so that building is even allowed in the first place and that the building project can be completed.
Complicated economically – because the developers and producers of building projects (private and public) are greatly influenced by their suppliers (building materials, architects, building services engineers, intelligent and sustainable buildings, landscape designers) and as an industry sector are affected by societal changes (e.g. globalisation, changes in laws) and technological innovation ( e.g. digitisation, mobility, internet, social media). This is no small factor. Also the financers of building projects (e.g. banks, investors, private people) as well as the marketers of building projects (e.g. real estate agents) are subject to these influences. In addition, there is the all-deciding group, who are the ones for whom the enormous effort of the project is undertaken in the first place, the users of the real estate (e.g. tenants and purchasers of homes, offices, business and industrial premises, logistics facilities and more).
Complicated internal interpersonal issues – because within the building projects there are very many people involved who have something to say and a point of view to put forward. Everyone wants to represent and protect their own interests.
Complicated external interpersonal issues – because many people outside of the building project have something to say and an opinion about it. These could be local authority and political stakeholders, neighbours, the media, as well as other interested parties who want to voice their views openly about it.
Why professionally led planning and building process communication is valuable
Everything that gets in the way of the planned schedule of a building project influences the price. Every disruption to a professionally planned and led planning and building process means that it will take longer and will be more expensive. Sometimes, so expensive that it can lead to financial difficulties for the developers and producers of building projects. Words like compensation claims, planning halt, closure of a building site spell trouble for them. It is not surprising that every owner and project developer wants to avoid them: both for financial and for image reasons. And many of them hope that their precise and professional planning will pay off, but sometimes this is not the case.
Therefore, early planning and building projects communication, commissioned by owners and project developers, can make a significant difference in avoiding, or at least minimizing, disruptions in planning and building processes.
ANNÉ SCHWARZKOPF COMMUNICATIONS has been involved in building projects communication for more than 3 decades. The agency has been performed numerous different functions for their customers and has been involved in many different aspects of those projects.
Today, ANNÉ SCHWARZKOPF COMMUNICATIONS’, COACHING FOR COMMUNICATIONS, focuses on planning and building process communication in stakeholder management, which is outside of planning and building projects. To be more precise, it focuses on communication with neighbours and concerned parties in the surroundings of a planning and building project.
10 good reasons for using the planning and building process communication of ANNÉ SCHWARZKOPF COMMUNICATIONS
- Avoids and minimizes conflicts with neighbours. Every building project has neighbours who are confronted with change, which some will welcome and others will fight against.
- Avoids and minimizes stoppage of the building work during the construction phases
- Reduces disruption risks and the additional costs and delays for the owner and project developers (e.g. interest for delays, additional claims and rent reductions)
- Avoids and minimizes reputational damage, which is a risk with conflict
- Avoids and reduces demands from stakeholders
- Provides an excellent, well-trained and experienced security instrument for owners and project developers
- Offers a first and sustainable source of information regarding the potential for conflict in the surroundings of a building project
- Is a solution-oriented team player for teams/groups of owners and project developers
- Offers fees for planning and building process communication which, in comparison to the costs for delays and stoppages of a planning and building process, are a very good investment for owners and project developers where costs are high and hedging the risk is critical
- Provides information which owners and project developers can use for third party usage (e.g. for marketing)
If you are an owner or project developer, please ask for further information. We would be happy to talk to you and to make you an offer for the planning and building process communication of your building project.